I love all things sparkly, pretty, shiny and happy. I also have borderline shopaholic and hoarder tendencies, so it makes sense that I am a total beauty supply junkie. I order new products constantly. Some work great and some are flops. Here are my faves for 2014:
OPI – Big Apple Red. I have worn this on my nails for most of the past year. I use OPI’s GelColor and I am extremely pleased with how well it holds up. I head to the salon every other weekend and soak off the old color and have a new one applied. It takes about an hour and my nails look shiny and perfect for the next two weeks. It is practically indestructible. Big Apple Red is the perfect shade of polish. The color is classic and flatters all skin tones. I cant put black or dark colors on my nails. As a New Yorker I tend to wear black clothes most of the time and the addition of dark polish feels sad to me. Big Apple Red dresses up all my black.
Urban Decay – Naked 3 Palette. I love this collection of colors. They have a rose gold tint that is extremely flattering with my skin/eye/hair color. There are so many online tutorials for this product that I am still learning new ways to use it. The shadows are pigmented with an easy to blend formula and I find that they don’t crease as easily as other brands.
Dr. Brandt Skincare – Do Not Age Time Reversing Cream. One of my biggest complaints in 2014 was dark under-eye circles and the beginnings of some wrinkles. (Sidenote – getting old is terrible.) I have tried numerous products that claimed to help with one or both of those gripes and failed miserably. This cream really makes a difference! It gets my stamp of approval and I can attest to the fact that it actually works.
Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo. I have mentioned this product a few times on ALG. I absolutely love it. It is a clarifying shampoo that you use once a week. It gets rid of all that styling build-up and leaves your hair bright, shiny and squeaky clean. I also enjoy it’s minty fragrance. This will definitely stay in my beauty arsenal for 2015.
Philosophy Hope in a Jar Night. I did a post on this product last year here. There are so many face creams out there and I find this one to be truly exceptional. It makes my skin so clear and my pores so small. I highly recommend it.
SK-II Facial Treatment Mask. I am obsessed with these masks! Since they are kind of pricey I do use them sparingly but if you have a special occasion and are looking to really make your skin glow this is what you need. They will not let you down! I did a full review on them here.
What were your favorite beauty products for 2014? I am always looking for recommendations!
Despite this rainy New York weather, it is still Spring. We had a glimpse of it last weekend and it was bliss. Being that this is my “Want It Wednesday” post, I am going to shop for pink and pretty. Maybe the power of positive thinking will bring us some Sunshine in the near future.
1. Jessica Simpson Chiffon Print Maxi Dress. I know everyone liked to hate on Jessica Simpson for a few years, but I have and will always have a soft spot for her. (Us blondes have to stick together.) Regardless of your opinions on her personally, her clothes are adorable. This dress is so pretty and I might just buy it to wear on Mother’s Day.
2. Urban Decay Naked Ultra Nourishing Lipgloss in Lovechild. Ummmmmm WHAT? I had no idea that Urban Decay was making Naked LIPGLOSS! I have the Naked 3 palette (which I am totally obsessed with). Based on the brand and the line I pretty much know this is going to rock. I cant wait to try it out!
3. AQUA Romper – Victoria Crossover. I just realized that I don’t own one romper. Some trends take a little while for me to warm up to but I think rompers are starting to grow on me. This one is a great starting piece. Bloomingdales AQUA line is so inexpensive and well made.
Every year (except this one) I start my Christmas shopping in August. I try my best to be prepared. This year I totally fell off and in the upcoming week I have some shopping to do but I do have ideas as to what I plan to buy and I thought I should make some suggestions for you as well. Here are some items that I own or that I would love to own:
1. Sorel “Joan of Arc” Boot. These are not the most glamorous boots but let’s face it – it’s cold out and I’m sick of Uggs. I think these would actually look pretty cute with some jeans.
2. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier. Ree Drummond is amazing and her recipes are so easy to follow and delicious. I am going to post my own modification to one of her receipes later in the week that is a staple at Bannon Castle.
3. Tocca Florence Candle. This is my favorite candle of all time. The packaging is gorgeous and the scent is sublime. This makes a great hostess gift.
4. Ellen Tracy Coat. I personally own this coat. I searched for years for a dress coat like this and finally discovered it in September. I know it is a bit pricey but it’s worth it. People stop me in the street to compliment me on it constantly. Definite show stopper. I want to buy three more and lay them up in case anything every happens to the one I own.