Today I am linking up with my girl, Kristen, who is the author of one of my favorite blogs. She is so funny and honest and refreshing and when I read her posts I feel like she is sitting next to me talking. She has a very personal way of writing that makes you feel like she is your friend in real life. Basically, I love her. Haha! If you get a chance, head over and check her out.
January was an odd month for me. We had our first (and hopefully only) blizzard of the Winter and then I was sick for a whole week. I spent A LOT of time hanging around at home. At first it was cute. Yay! A blizzard! Jammies and movies on the couch with Taylor! By the end of the next week of being sick I was going stir crazy and I couldn’t wait to get back to reality. I hated every single thing on TV at that point. Anywho, here are some of things the highlights from january:
Reading: You Had Me At Hello. I am reading this for Literary Ladies book club and I am loving it so far! Here is the Goodreads synopsis:
“What happens when the one that got away comes back?
Rachel and Ben. Ben and Rachel. It was them against the world. Until it all fell apart.
It’s been a decade since they last spoke, but when Rachel bumps into Ben one rainy day, the years melt away.
From the moment they met they’d been a gang of two; partners in crime and the best of friends. But life has moved on. Ben is married. Rachel is definitely not. In fact, the men in her life make her want to take holy orders…
Yet in that split second, Rachel feels the old friendship return. And along with it, the broken heart she’s never been able to mend.
If you love David Nicholls and Lisa Jewell then this is the book for you. Hilarious, heartbreaking and everything in between, you’ll be hooked from their first ‘hello’.”
Listening: Ellie Goulding’s album, Delirium, has been playing on repeat lately. It’s so good! She is playing a concert in NYC in June and I am dying to go. I really want to bring Taylor but it is the night before her last day of school. Best Mom or worst Mom? I cant decide…
Watching: Survivor. Taylor is obsessed with it and has been watching all the past seasons on Hulu. I was avoiding it because I never really watched it when it was on TV and my perception of the show is that they had to eat a lot of gross things (like bugs). Vomiting is not something I look for from a TV series. Recently, I caved though amidst Taylor’s promises that she has watched a few whole seasons and there have been no eating challenges. I must say that now that I have given it a chance I am pretty into it as well.
Working On: Losing 10 pounds by my birthday. My birthday is March 17th and I am trying to shave off ten pounds by then. I have been watching my eating most of the time (although full disclosure – I just ate a sesame bagel) and working on being more active. Mostly using my iPhone health app and it’s step counter, which I am totally obsessed with! I really need to start going back to the gym though. I feel like maybe if I buy some cute workout gear it will motivate me? I have been eyeing this shirt:
So, that’s it. What’s new with you?
Today I am linking up with Nadine for What’s Your Sign. I don’t usually follow along with my horoscope or consider myself to be a very superstitious person in general. I know that my sign is Pisces but other than that I couldnt tell you. Because of this link up I decided to do some research and here are some things I have learned…
Pisces Astrology February 19 – March 20
Right off the bat I love that there are two fish incorporated in my symbol because I love the water. I grew up on the coast of Eastern Long Island so swimming and being near the Ocean is important to me. I also think it is funny that there are two fish because I hate to be alone. I am a very social person and I feel a bit lost when i am by myself.
Main Characteristics of a Pisces: Imaginative, Artistic, Kind, Dreamers, Intuitive, Sensitive, Selfless, Escapists, Weak-Willed, Lazy, Adaptable.
I have to say that I don’t relate to very many of those traits. I am not really a shy, dreamer, wallflower that allows myself to be steam-rolled. To be honest I am more of a bossy, take charge person than that.
I am not sure if perhaps because my birthday is March 17th I am more of an Aries? During the next link-up I will read more about that.
What is your sign and do you relate to it? Do you feel like you embody it’s characteristics?
Good morning loves! Today I am linking up with my sparkly besties from The Sequin Notebook to bring you one of my favorite cocktails!
I have mentioned in the past that the hubby and I are not big drinkers. It is just not our thang. Occasionally, we will share a bottle of wine (which has been happening more lately in an attempt to liven things up during the dull NYC Winter) but it is not a regular occurrence. Sometimes, I want to drink a glass of champagne or a have fun cocktail with dinner. Billy doesn’t care for champagne so I have to go it alone. Therefore, this recipe is for one drink.
Here are the cast of characters:
I used a Sofia Mini as the base for this. I think they are totally genius. In case you are unfamiliar with the Sofia Mini, it is an individual can of champagne (complete with it’s own straw). They are perfect for me so that I can enjoy a glass of champs without having to commit to drinking a whole bottle. I always have a few on hand in my fridge for when the mood strikes me. You can use any champagne or prosecco though.
To begin, I filled my glass halfway with champagne. Then I added a quarter of a glass of pineapple juice and a quarter of Malibu. I finished with a tiny splash of Grenadine for color. I had a lemon on hand so I garnished with a slice to make it even more festive.
The result is light and fruity and makes me feel like I am on a tropical beach somewhere. If I cant actually bask in the Sunshine at least I can drink like I am able to.
Happy Hump Day! Today I am linking up with Mia to share my January Favorites! Here goes:
1. Vaseline Advance Healing Lip Therapy. For years I have been using a whole slew of products to combat the dry lips that I experience every year thanks to the brutal NYC cold. I thought I had a winner in Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment but it is pretty expensive at $22 a tube. Then, when my hubby broke his ankle I was in the hospital with him for a few days and my lips were super chapped. Of course I had no products with me for that so I went down to the gift shop. All they had was the Vaseline so I bought it. It is my new FAVORITE. It is not greasy and doesn’t sit on your lips like gloss. It absorbs immediately and actually softens and smooths. I love it so much that on my last trip to Target I bought ten tubes. Taylor thought I was nuts but I will never use anything else.
2. Women’s Nike Free 5.0 V4 Running Shoes. I have wanted these for a super long time but they were sold out. I finally found them at Finishline and am totally in love. Super comfy and maybe at some point I will stop being so lazy and wear them to work out. Maybe.
3. Moroccan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner. I know I am behind the trend on this one. Everyone has been raving about MO products for a while and I did try the oil a while back and I didn’t love it. A few weeks ago I got a Keratin treatment for the first time – LIFECHANGING – and my hairdresser recommended this brand because it doesn’t have sulfates. I’ve been using it for a few weeks and I’m pretty happy with it. It smells great.
4. The Woman Who Stole My Life. I am going to do a full review on this in the near future but I love Marian Keyes and this was worth reading.
5. Real Techniques Bold Metals 301 Flat Contour Brush. Ahmazingggggggggg. This video shows you how to use it and it really does work. I am giving away three brushes from this line (including the contour brush). You can enter to win them here.
Wow, I havent done one of these posts for ages! I see things periodically that I would like to share but then I get so caught up in my day and when I go back to create a link love post I’ve totally forgotten what I intended to include. Anywho, here are the links I am loving today:
1. Here is a roundup of Tiny Fey and Amy Poehler’s best jokes from the Golden Globes. There definitely some gems! I loved when they made fun of Bill Cosby!
2. Is it anyone else’s resolution for 2015 to get more sleep? Here are some tips on how to sleep better tonight.
3. Here is a roundup of the best multipurpose tools to have in your kitchen.
4. A smart collar with wifi, a video camera and gps for your dog. Ummmmm, is it wrong that I feel like I NEED ONE for my cat? Jeter loves technology.
What are you guys loving from around the web this week?