I love all things sparkly, pretty, shiny and happy. I also have borderline shopaholic and hoarder tendencies, so it makes sense that I am a total beauty supply junkie. I order new products constantly. Some work great and some are flops. Here are my faves for 2014:
OPI – Big Apple Red. I have worn this on my nails for most of the past year. I use OPI’s GelColor and I am extremely pleased with how well it holds up. I head to the salon every other weekend and soak off the old color and have a new one applied. It takes about an hour and my nails look shiny and perfect for the next two weeks. It is practically indestructible. Big Apple Red is the perfect shade of polish. The color is classic and flatters all skin tones. I cant put black or dark colors on my nails. As a New Yorker I tend to wear black clothes most of the time and the addition of dark polish feels sad to me. Big Apple Red dresses up all my black.
Urban Decay – Naked 3 Palette. I love this collection of colors. They have a rose gold tint that is extremely flattering with my skin/eye/hair color. There are so many online tutorials for this product that I am still learning new ways to use it. The shadows are pigmented with an easy to blend formula and I find that they don’t crease as easily as other brands.
Dr. Brandt Skincare – Do Not Age Time Reversing Cream. One of my biggest complaints in 2014 was dark under-eye circles and the beginnings of some wrinkles. (Sidenote – getting old is terrible.) I have tried numerous products that claimed to help with one or both of those gripes and failed miserably. This cream really makes a difference! It gets my stamp of approval and I can attest to the fact that it actually works.
Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo. I have mentioned this product a few times on ALG. I absolutely love it. It is a clarifying shampoo that you use once a week. It gets rid of all that styling build-up and leaves your hair bright, shiny and squeaky clean. I also enjoy it’s minty fragrance. This will definitely stay in my beauty arsenal for 2015.
Philosophy Hope in a Jar Night. I did a post on this product last year here. There are so many face creams out there and I find this one to be truly exceptional. It makes my skin so clear and my pores so small. I highly recommend it.
SK-II Facial Treatment Mask. I am obsessed with these masks! Since they are kind of pricey I do use them sparingly but if you have a special occasion and are looking to really make your skin glow this is what you need. They will not let you down! I did a full review on them here.
What were your favorite beauty products for 2014? I am always looking for recommendations!
I’ve wanted to try a SK-II Facial Treatment Mask for a while but I was put off by the price. It is $90 for six individually packaged masks (which sounds like a lot of money to me). I did tons of online research and I only found rave reviews about this product. Everyone loves it! Finally, during Want It Wednesday of last week I bit the bullet. My face has been SUPER DRY due to this Winter weather and the heat in my office blasting. I decided to break one out last Saturday in preparation for date night with the hubby. Basically, this is a thick paper mask that is coated in a gel-like liquid. You unpeel it and put it on your face. Here are some questions I had and the answers to them:
– Why aren’t the instructions on the box or the packaging?
Answer: I don’t know and I was annoyed by this. I was all set up in the bathroom, ready to apply the mask and I had to get my iPad and Google the instructions. I wound up finding the information on their website but I was irritated that I had to do that research. Once I found them though, the instructions were pretty much self-explanatory. Unpeel it and put it on your face for about twenty minutes. Afterwards, peel off the mask and wipe off any excess liquid. Do not rinse.
– How do I use it? Do I need to lay down? Will it slide off my face onto the floor?
Answer: You dont need to lay down. The gel will help it stay on your face. (I would not recommend doing Zumba while using it but if you watch TV sitting up you should be fine.)
– How long do I leave it on and when should I use it?
Answer: I left mine on for about a half hour. Another tip is to use this when your husband/child are not home. Mine were playing Fibber in the living room and when I went downstairs they chased me through the house while trying to snap pictures of me in my Silence of the Lambs mask.
– Was it worth it?
Answer: I would have to say yes. I think it made a tremendous difference in my skin. Prior to using this, my face was flaky (especially around my nose) and afterwards my skin was soft and smooth. It stayed that way for about two days and made applying makeup much easier.
The only downside was the price but in my online research I found other bloggers that re-used their masks. So, I followed their example and got another use out of it! When I put the mask on I saved the packaging and the extra liquid inside. Then, when I was done with the treatment, I re-folded the mask, carefully put it back in the package with the residual liquid and taped it shut. I stored it in my fridge until I was ready to use it again (two days later). I added a tiny bit of water at that time and and squished it around. I applied it the same as I had the first time and it worked just as well. Now, I thought $90 for six masks was expensive but I can deal with $90 for twelve uses! I will definitely use the SK-II Facial Treatment Mask again and highly recommend it.
Hello, my loves! Thank you for joining me for the second addition of Want It Wednesday (where we go on a virtual shopping spree). Without further ado, here are some things I have been eyeing this week:
1. SK-II Facial Treatment Mask. I have seen these all over the internet and on television. Most notably, Adriana De Moura from the Real Housewives of Miami donned it in the hours leading up to her wedding. Even though she is insane, I think it speaks highly of the mask that she would use it to prepare for an event like that. I am dying to try it.
2. The North Face Becca Insulated Jacket. I love this little jacket. Obviously it is not something I could rock now in the Arctic weather we are currently experiencing in New York but I could picture myself in it as the weather eases up a bit. I also like that it has the thumb holes that are so popular lately.
3. MacarOn Café Macarons. My hubby sent these to me last year and they are just heaven! Even though I am trying to simmer down with stuffing my face full of bad foods I could be temped to make an exception for these. The Nutella flavored ones are TO DIE FOR!
4. Scott Barnes Body Bling. This is like a tined moisturizer for your body. I have been looking for something similar (since in the Winter my legs are so pale that I dread wearing a dress).
5. Saint Laurent Y Leather Clutch. This is a classic clutch in a great size. It can be used year round for date nights or other nights on the town. I love it.